[Web4lib] U.Va. Library website design review

Ron Peterson ronpeterson39401 at yahoo.com
Fri May 11 10:50:55 EDT 2007

I agree with Phoebe, I think that there are a lot of links listed, and not much to differentiate them for the user.  The headings don't really set them off that well. At MPOW, we have done some focus groups for a long overdue redesign of our website and the issue of links just "blurring together" has been a frequent theme.  They are clearly looking for visual cues as to what is the good stuff.  Maybe you could move some of the less frequently used links deeper into the website or use tabs or rollovers to control how much information is displayed at any time and to create a stronger sense that those links are related.

One other thing, the background design colors seem to be scaled to the size of the window.  So when I view your page in a window less than about 990px the background stops at the window edge and the design starts to break down.  At about 850px wide the blue Special Collections link is on a blue background.

Ron Peterson