[Web4lib] Interesting Web/Library 2.0data(wasparticpationSkillsfor Library 2.0 Leaders)

Jim Campbell campbell at virginia.edu
Thu May 10 10:06:58 EDT 2007

Mark Costa wrote

> It would even be more amazing if libraries somehow generated
> metadata on the charts, graphs, and table data within reports
> and articles so I can extract that information more
> effectively.

I don't know if there are any libraries doing this amazing thing, but CSA is
making a very interesting stab at it. See
http://info.csa.com/csaillustrata/

Which to me proves that this is the wrong argument, we shouldn't be
discussing "simple and easy to use VERSUS complex and powerful" but rather
getting people to information in ways that best meet their needs.  Sometimes
that's one approach, sometimes it's another (and that can be true for the
same individual depending on the information needed).  Some researchers will
decide it's a good use of their time to work out complex
information-gathering strategies, some will just look at one or two sources
they're familiar with whenever they're wondering about a project, and some
will just ask the colleague who is known for having a particularly good box
full of articles under his desk.

So I'd like to see us offering simple and easy to use for those who need it
(including advanced researchers dipping a toe in another discipline) and
powerful and easy to use for those who need that.  That should be true for
our systems and for the advice we offer our users, they should adapt to the
individual need, not force the individual to adapt to them.

- Jim Campbell

Digital Access Librarian | Librarian for German
E-Mail: Campbell at Virginia.Edu | Voice: 434-924-4985

Digital Access Services, University of Virginia Library
http://www.lib.virginia.edu/digital/das/

=CK5ZJ6HY9N&D=JAV&&J=ACADOFMANJO&U=http://www.jstor.org/journals/00014273.ht
ml>
>  from
> 1974 to 06/01/2005 in AWC Library Holdings  from 03/01/1987
> to 12/01/2001 in ProQuest Research
> Library<http://ck5zj6hy9n.search.serialssolutions.com/log?L=CK
5ZJ6HY9N&D=PRA&&J=ACADOFMANJO&U=http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?RQT=318&pmid=
24476>