[Web4lib] Online payment processing of library fines and fees.

Peter Schoenberg PSchoenberg at EPL.CA
Wed May 9 14:44:06 EDT 2007

We are investigating options for online payment processing.    Our
highest priorities are library fines and charges that appear in our
customer's My Account listings (e.g. overdues, membership fees, etc).
We have an annual membership fee for adults.   Any payments made must
update the library account information on the fly.

Excuse the story below, but I think it is relevant.

We use SIRSI Unicon iBistro as our catalogue.   We had been discussing
options with Telus (Library Online).   We have been using their Library
Online workstation / print management software for a number of years.
Telus offers a PayIt ecommerce module (to talk to online payment
processors) and a Fines Payment module (to talk to SIRSI Unicorn).
Telus had agreed (for a price) to modify the PayIt module to work with
the Canadian online payment processing service (Beanstream) used by the
City of Edmonton.   The City has done all the work, auditing and
research to meet their financial requirements to get information from
Beanstream into SAP.    We use the same SAP system as the City.   This
appeared to be a very clean solution, used an existing vendor we were
very pleased with and aligned us perfectly with the City and their
financial practices.

Then......... Telus sold Library Online to Active.    Active is no
longer willing (even for a price) to make this solution work with
Beanstream.

This has lead us to consider other options:

We have good documentation from Beanstream.   We have a SIP2 license and
server for our Unicorn system.    We are seriously considering building
this ourselves.    The University of Alberta (who we work closely with)
has developed an API based solution for their dedicated University
payment processing service.

In case you were wondering, SIRSI offers a PayPal or VeriSign based
online payment option (not sure that any customers are actually using
it).   We have major issues with our customers' transactions being
processed by an American company.    Additionally those solutions do not
integrate with SAP.

I would really appreciate comments, warnings, suggestions, examples,
etc.

Peter