[Web4lib] Interesting Web/Library 2.0 data(wasparticpationSkillsfor Library 2.0 Leaders)

Walker, David dwalker at calstate.edu
Wed May 9 10:03:36 EDT 2007

>> We're losing because we can never

>> offer the simplicity that they do.

>> www.google.com is always easier to

>> type than library.someuniversity.eduis.

I disagree.

Academic libraries can provide a simple means to search and find library content.  We have metasearch systems and even the ability to load and index our most used databases together with our catalog records into a local system [1].

A system like that would not only be as easy to use as Google, it would be in many ways better, since it would be tailored to our community, and would only include those resources that are directly useful and available to our users.  Give them the ability to save and format records in a citation style of their choosing, and then you've really got something that people would want to use.

If you, in turn, integrate that system, together with reserves and librarian generated content, into a learning management system, then students wouldn't even have to go out to 'library.someuniversity.edu', because they would have all of the library resources specific to their course right there where they already are.

There's a lot of work to be done there, to be sure.  But, again, if we make that our top priority, there's absolutely no reason why it can't be done.

If nothing else, we should consider the fact that we find ourselves in this mess precisely because libraries declared that corporations could do library automation and other key technical tasks better than us.  Thirty years later we're struggling, because we don't have sufficient control over our own content and systems to do what we need to do.  Do we really want to make that same mistake twice?

>> We no longer serve "society's needs"

>> in general

But academic libraries never did that to begin with.

>> Simple needs, simple tools.

>> Complex needs, complex tools.

Sounds good to me.  But we already have the complex tools; in fact, we've got them in spades.  What we really need are the simple tools.  And, no, Google is not enough.

--Dave

[1] http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6413442.html

David Walker
Library Web Services Manager