[Web4lib] Interesting Web/Library 2.0 data (wasparticpationSkillsfor Library 2.0 Leaders)

michael.yunkin at unlv.edu michael.yunkin at unlv.edu
Tue May 8 13:15:09 EDT 2007

web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org wrote on 05/08/2007 09:32:35 AM:

> ... their unsophisticated needs as
> an undergraduate? As people move from undergraduate to graduate, and then
on
> to faculty, their information seeking behaviors change. Perhaps you can
> argue we can catch them in transition. Much of what we offer is authority
> and precision. Authority is not as important to an undergraduate as it is
> a graduate.

The entire graduate vs. undergraduate dichotomy may be false, depending on
the university and the faculty. I certainly did much more research (in the
sense we seem to be identifying with graduate students) as a music history
undergraduate than I did as a library science grad student. Surely I'm not
the only one.

In the end, the whole discussion of who academic libraries should target as
our primary users is pointless, since it will (or at least should) depend
on the focus, climate, faculty, and goals of the institution.

-Michael