[Web4lib] Interesting Web/Library 2.0 data (wasparticpationSkillsfor Library 2.0 Leaders)

Leo Robert Klein leo at leoklein.com
Fri May 4 22:47:46 EDT 2007

Walker, David  <dwalker at calstate.edu> wrote:

 > I think perhaps all of us see the possibilities these new technologies
 > could provide, and some of us can't wait to get to that next level.
 > But I think academic libraries specifically need to do a bit of a
 > reality check on Library 2.0.

[snip]

I think we'd have to call what you're talking about the 'Eyes on the
Prize' approach.

I agree entirely about the need for a reality check.  All too often
people are tempted to go through a shopping list of social networking
technologies, checking them off as if their mere presence -- in an
academic institution -- signified progress in meeting the needs of our
users.

I often wonder what the metric of success is -- beyond simple deployment.

Certain technologies might make more sense if centered not in the
library but in the teaching departments where final grades and class
credit are a wonderful spur to participation.  That doesn't mean of
course that we can't wedge our way in.

Ultimately, we have to ask ourselves what our users are coming to us for
and whether any technology is helping them to meet their goals.  That's
the recipe for success.

LEO

www.leoklein.com (site)
www.ChicagoLibrarian.com (blog)