[Web4lib] Interesting Web/Library 2.0 data (wasparticpationSkillsfor Library 2.0 Leaders)

Mark Costa markrcosta at gmail.com
Fri May 4 15:54:30 EDT 2007

> Second, I think we should also admit that the core audience of academic
> libraries -- undergraduate students -- are unlikely to find any reason to
> subscribe to RSS feeds or write reviews or tag resources unless they can
> derive a direct benefit for their research and coursework.  The utility of
> these technologies is therefore largely limited to our secondary audiences.

Why are undergraduate students the core audience? I know they generally
comprise the largest percentage of the population, but they also conduct the
least amount of intensive research, are less enthusiastic about research,
and are less connected to the academic community. (And as a preemptive
strike, I know there are a few honors undergraduates, and maybe even a few
exceptional colleges, but lets be realistic). Most major research
institutions get less than half of their revenues from tuition, so you can't
even argue that undergraduates are supporting the library with their
moeny. Why don't we focus more on the people who really need and would use
the library if it was designed well?

I am not going to disagree with you about fragmented systems. I think we are
in a no win situation there because we do not own our content. It seems that
the people we work with are intent on resisting all market trends and making
it entirely impossible for us to actually meet our customers' demands. Who
knows, maybe undergrads would get all excited about the library if we could
get the information to them more efficiently than we do now.

Third, I think we have to recognize that, until we address and fix the