[Web4lib] Interesting Web/Library 2.0 data (was particpationSkills for Library 2.0 Leaders)

Walt Crawford waltcrawford at gmail.com
Thu May 3 10:26:51 EDT 2007

Really commenting on an earlier post: From what I've read and observed, the
Pareto Principle is the wrong one to use for contribution ratios in
social/web services. The applicable ratio is the 90:9:1 ratio--that is, of
every 100 users, roughly 9 will be occasional contributors or commenters and
roughly one will be a "real" contributor.

I think that's true for Wikipedia, although there it may be more like the
alternate 990:9:1 ratio since there are so many "driveby users." It seems to
be true for a range of other "social" sites, including blogs and blog
reading. (Are 10% of blogs actively maintained, i.e., with posts at least
once a month?) I'd guess the 90:9:1 ratio is even true of a fair number of
lists...

One consequence of this is that the audience is still, *mostly*, the
audience--but "mostly" isn't as overwhelming now as it used to be.

Walt Crawford