[Web4lib] Interesting Web/Library 2.0 data (was particpationSkills for Library 2.0 Leaders)

Mark Costa markrcosta at gmail.com
Thu May 3 09:43:36 EDT 2007

Ok, so now we know why Google bought Youtube, because there are many ways to
drive traffic to the site.

I think of it this way, just because I drive through a rich neighborhood, it
doesn't make me a member of the community. I'm just another guy passing
through admiring the houses. It's the same thing with Youtube, there are
just a bunch of people passing through; very few of them are community
members. Youtube gives people a good reason to drive through, and Google
knows how to sell to the gawkers.

Wikipedia throws me off a bit. You can't imbed the site's content, so its
not as easy to drive traffic to the site. But, they have to get a large
number of drive throughs because you can pick up one of its entries for
almost any Google search on a topic or famous person. Do more people
contribute because it is easier to add a line or two of text, rather than
contribute a video? Or is it because a larger percentage of the population
has an idea that they want to share, while only a small percentage of the
population has a video they want to share. Everyone's an amateur philosopher
and historian, very few of us are amateur directors.