[Web4lib] city swallows library website

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Wed May 2 20:36:10 EDT 2007

However you sort out the city Web presence versus the library's, fight for a
usable domain and URL regimen.

Under the administration of the previous government of Michigan,

1) The Library of Michigan was placed into a new department of History,
Arts, and Libraries.

2) The state Web presence was outsourced to IBM, which then
hosted Michigan state government content in Colorado.

3) IBM consultants chose a content management system (Vignette I believe),
and all state agencies were folded into a Michigan.gov domain, with URLs
generated by the CMS...

The CMS, at least as implemented in this case, generates HORRIBLE URLs.  The
URL for the home page for the Library of Michigan, comes up as this:

http://www.michigan.gov/hal/0,1607,7-160-17445_19270---,00.html

That's the URL for the *home page* of the Library of Michigan.  Try giving
that out on the radio or on a business card.

Here is the memorable, hardly-radio-friendly, and utterly indistinguishable
by human eyes, URL for the news from the State Librarian:

http://www.michigan.gov/hal/0,1607,7-160-17445_19270_29769---,00.html

Michigan and the Midwest face a pest, the Emerald Ash Borer, that threatens
to kill all our ash trees.   An official brochure from the state Dept of
Agriculture advised people to go to Michigan.gov and search for that pest by
name.  Why?  Because the URL would not have fit in the brochure, and no
human could transcribe it into the address bar.

Whatever you fight for in terms of content control, fight for citable URLs.
Why not libraryofmichigan.org?

/rich