[Web4lib] Adobe Acrobat

Micah Stevens micah at raincross-tech.com
Thu Mar 15 17:19:08 EST 2007

On 03/15/2007 02:27 PM, dschumann at trlib.org wrote:
> We publish many online forms and highly formatted document on our public
> web site and our Intranet. Some of these documents need to be in PDF
> format, and we'd like to utilize some of the advanced PDF features, such
> as dynamic forms, etc. We have decided it's time to buy either the full
> version of Adobe Acrobat or one of the alternate PDF file generators.
> After testing a few of the Acrobat alternatives, I am leaning strongly
> towards buying Adobe Acrobat. Does anyone have any feedback about PDF
> generators that have worked or not worked?

I've never seen anything that compares with Acrobat on the basis of
features. I've been less than satisfied with the quality of their reader
as of late, but the generator seems to work fine.

It used to be very easy to generate forms, but the newest version
separated out this functionality into another program, and although the
creation of the form is still straightforward, dealing with PDF form
data in a dynamic server environment is nearly impossible now without
buying additional software. It used to be very standardized and
straightforward. This I'm opposed to as it's a very Microsoft-esqe tactic.

I hope that helps!
-Micah