[Web4lib] DC input tool ? and digitization workflow tracking tool?

KLINGLER, THOMAS tk at kent.edu
Fri Mar 9 11:04:44 EST 2007

We're starting our first very large digitization program.  We are not
exactly sure of how/where our digital content will ultimately reside.
We are sure that we want to create and capture Dublin Core metadata
about our images as we begin to digitize.  We also are struggling to
design an efficient project workflow. We've reviewed lots of projects,
sites, tools, and advice.  Speaking only for myself, we may be reaching
"analysis paralysis."   So, I turn to this group.....

Questions for the wisdom of the group:

1.   What tool do you recommend for input/storage of DC data for a large
image digitization project?  Ultimately, the tool will have to be able
to output the DC data in nice friendly XML.

2.   What workflow or tracking tool do you recommend for a large digital
image project?   This tool would track things like: this paper photo is
from here; this paper photo is scanned and the resulting digital file is
named thus and stored here;   these paper photos identified for the
project are here and not yet scanned;  these images were scanned on this
date by this student assistant.

3.  Can you recommend a single tool that does #1 and #2 ?

Thanks for any recommendations.

Tom Klingler

Assistant Dean for Systems & Technical Services

Libraries & Media Services

Library Room 383

Kent State University

Kent, Ohio 44242-0001