[Web4lib] Drupal and wikis

D.H. Mattison dmattison at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 8 23:14:55 EDT 2007

June 8, 2007

TikiWiki (http://tikiwiki.org/tiki-index.php?page=Home), which I use for my
main personal site (http://www.davidmattison.ca/tiki), is a wiki-based
content management system. It's open source and not without its problems,
but it has just about everything you could want in a CMS, including a
workflow engine and live chat, neither of which I've used. TikiWiki is well
supported by a developer base of over 250 individuals around the world.

If you're looking at open source solutions, there are several other choices,
also solidly supported by a strong user and developer base, for a library
CMS, such as Plone, which I once did not have high hopes for in my 2003
article on wikis for Searcher magazine, TYPO3, Mambo. Joomla, which has been
getting good reviews, is based on the Mambo code.

As someone else mentioned, the CMS Matrix is a great way to take most of
these products out for a test drive and for comparison purposes. Your
decision will also no doubt be influenced by your existing computing
environment. You may not be able to get what you want because your computing
people are not willing to adapt themselves to your requirements.

David Mattison
Victoria, BC, Canada
dmattison at shaw.ca
http://www.davidmattison.ca/wordpress