[Web4lib] Drupal and wikis

Leo Robert Klein leo at leoklein.com
Fri Jun 8 20:13:13 EDT 2007

Carol McGeehon wrote:
> I'm interested in the differences between a content management system
> such as Drupal and a wiki.  I've been asked the question since we are
> looking at using Drupal for our library web site.  What are the
> strengths of using Drupal instead of a wiki to develop a library
> website?  What are the strengths of using a wiki instead of a content
> management system to develop a library website?

A Wiki is just one way of storing and arranging information.  A Blog is
another.

The fact is, it all just goes into a database like any other form of
content using a Content Management System.

Drupal can do blogs.   Drupal can kind of do Wikis -- though not that
well.  (Drupal's "book" function is Wiki-like.  For an example, see the
Drupal Handbook Section: http://drupal.org/handbooks)

I guess where I'm coming from is wondering if a Wiki would really answer
the needs of a library website.

I totally have my doubts.  I mean, people go to your site for materials
of one kind or another.  They also go for information about news and
events.  They might also want ways of communicating with you for more
information.  How would the structure of a Wiki serve these people?

I think it'd drive them nuts.

The Wiki only has one trick -- hierarchal arrangement in a very
pedestrian way.  It's the new Gopher.

It can be helpful in certain areas (e.g. Research guides).  But very
often the presentation of your material, as in choices for a database,
require more dynamic treatment.

You might also want an integrated calendar, news items, and some way of
dealing with user input as in comments, contact forms, etc.  A system
like Drupal can do that out of the box.

Drupal is also highly customizable.  You can design your own content and
decide how you want it displayed, arranged, sorted, etc.  It does this
through online forms rather than through a lot of coding/scripting.  Of
course, you have to figure out the concepts behind the system -- but no
pain, no gain.

Personally I can't imagine developing any site these days that doesn't
take after some kind of content management system.  I've been working
with Drupal since '04 and got it to do most of what I've wanted without
getting too wrapped up in the code underneath.

It might work for you as well.

LEO

www.leoklein.com (site)
www.ChicagoLibrarian.com (blog)