[Web4lib] GreatArticle: "I'll See You On 'Facebook' ...

Gerry Mckiernan gerrymck at iastate.edu
Sat Jun 2 16:11:54 EDT 2007

***APOLOGIES FOR RECEIPT OF DUPLICATE POSTINGS***

Colleagues/

I just posted excerpts from a MostExcellent Article on my _Friends_ blog titled

"I'll See You On 'Facebook': The Effects of Computer-Mediated Teacher Self-Disclosure on Student Motivation, Affective Learning, and Classroom Climate,"

by Joseph P. Mazer, Richard E. Murphy, and Cheri J. Simonds

[Communication Education, Volume 56, Issue 1 January 2007 , pages 1 - 17]

FromTheConclusion

Self-disclosure is one approach that teachers may take to develop relationships with their students. However, as communication technology develops at an increasing rate, it is important for teachers to recognize how certain technologies, even those used largely by students, can positively affect student-teacher relationships. Facebook is a contemporary technological tool that can offer teachers and students a unique method to nurture the student-teacher relationship, which can ultimately create a positive learning experience for both parties.

The direct _Friends_ posting is at

[ http://onlinesocialnetworks.blogspot.com/2007/06/ill-see-you-on-facebook.html ]

BTW: It appears that a PDF version of the article is available free-of-charge[?] [See 'Source' in the _Friends_ posting for the link]

Let Me Know What You Think !!!

Thanks !!!

BTW2: Don't Be The Last One On Your Block To Join Facebook! {:-)

[ http://www.facebook.com/ ]

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Science and Technology Librarian
Iowa State University Library
Ames IA 5011

[ http://www.facebook.com/p/Gerry_McKiernan/16926735  ]

Iowa: Where the Tall Corn Flows and the (North)West Wind Blows