[Web4lib] loading database descriptions into web page

Amy Drayer amostrom at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 14:26:10 EDT 2007

Dear Web4Libbers:

You are absolutely correct Chris, thank you. :-)

We've been working on creating information-on-demand, as I like to think of
it, for our patrons.  Currently, it constitutes javascript and a nice
accessible CSS/XHTML combo to "pop-up" more information on a database.  The
script is borrowed from Twin Helix (supernote:
http://www.twinhelix.com/dhtml/supernote/) and can be modified for more
AJAX-y content (which is what we'll be doing).

I am only testing out the basic concept right now, but at the end of August
we'll hopefully be plugging in the content from an XML document.  An example
of the testing is:
http://www.jocobusiness.net/research

And we'll pull content on demand from XML similar to this cute little widget
(check the dropdown):
http://new.jocolibrary.org/default.aspx?id=2120 (please note this is a test
site and the link will change on August 15, 2007)

It's a work in progress, but I hope it helps with ideas. :-)  We'll probably
use something similar with our federated search program too.  I have
concerns using javascript for loading content since people can disable it,
so you may want to consider a server-side script such as PHP or ASP instead.
:-)

--
In peace,

Amy M. Drayer