[Web4lib] Input wanted: managing virtual workers

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Tue Jul 24 11:36:39 EDT 2007

Yes, it's another opportunity to weigh in on interesting issues *and* get
you or your organization mentioned in an online journal read by IT managers
in and out of LibraryLand!

For an upcoming article, I'm writing about best practices for
managing/supervising virtual employees or contractors (sometimes known as
satellite workers). Before you say "but we don't do that," consider that if
you have ANY telecommuting activity in your organization - for example,
working from home every other Friday, working the occasional day from home
due to emergencies, or even authorizing an occasional case of what I call
"report-writing flu" - then you are managing virtual workers.

Likewise, if you are the tethered IT person who occasionally finds herself
crouched in a conference hallway thousands of miles from the library,
negotiating a server restart, then you're a virtual worker, too. How do you
manage *yourself*?

Some possible questions: how do you communicate expectations to these
workers? How do you ensure the work is done? What tools do you use to
communicate with distance workers (for example, instant messaging, Skype,
email)? What has worked best (and maybe, not so good)? Has virtual
employment changed workplace expectations of what 'work' is about-making it
more outcome-based? Do you need to set boundaries so workaholics don't grind
themselves into the ground?

To see my last piece: http://www.itmanagersjournal.com/feature/25391

Input due by COB (however and wherever you define "close of business"!) this
Friday, July 27... thanks!

K.G. Schneider
Free Range Librarian
AIM/Email: kgs at freerangelibrarian.com