[Web4lib] wifi filtering in joint-use libraries

Michael McDonnell michael at winterstorm.ca
Mon Jul 16 16:18:12 EDT 2007

Laura Crossett wrote:
> Whilst the rest of you debate the Deweyless nature of the Maricopa
> library, I am pondering the complications of wireless internet access
> in joint use libraries and am hoping that perhaps someone out there
> has a brilliant solution for us.
>
> Here's the deal: we're a joint school/public library, located inside a
> school building.  We use the school's internet connection, but our
> computers are free of the school's filtering software (yay).  At the
> moment, though, the wireless access is filtered, since we can't think
> of a good way to make it unfiltered in the library while keeping
> school wireless access filtered.
>
> I've got several people contemplating this problem, but as we haven't
> yet come to a really good solution, I also thought I'd ask around.
Hi Laura,

You have stated the problem as wanting to make the wireless unfiltered
in the library, and filtered in the school.  Assuming you have more than
one wireless access point, you would configure them to have different
names (and channel numbers) and make the school's filtered.  If you want
to prevent the library's wireless access point from being available in
the school you could reduce your signal strength or buy a directional
antenna and make sure that it points away from the school area but
toward areas in the library.  Neither of those are sure-fire solutions
though.

If you redefine the problem to be "to provide students with filtered web
access and provide other library users with non-filtered web access"
then a workable solution would look like this:  setup a proxy server and
require that all wifi web access go through the proxy.  Require that
users must authenticate to use the proxy.  Setup the proxy so that
students access is further sent through your filters (assuming your
filter is itself like a proxy... if it is actually a desktop application
then you are out of luck).

--
Michael