[Web4lib] wifi filtering in joint-use libraries

Laura Crossett newrambler at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 15:55:35 EDT 2007

Whilst the rest of you debate the Deweyless nature of the Maricopa
library, I am pondering the complications of wireless internet access
in joint use libraries and am hoping that perhaps someone out there
has a brilliant solution for us.

Here's the deal: we're a joint school/public library, located inside a
school building.  We use the school's internet connection, but our
computers are free of the school's filtering software (yay).  At the
moment, though, the wireless access is filtered, since we can't think
of a good way to make it unfiltered in the library while keeping
school wireless access filtered.

I've got several people contemplating this problem, but as we haven't
yet come to a really good solution, I also thought I'd ask around.

Thanks,
Laura
--
Laura Crossett
work: Meeteetse Branch Library, Wyoming

Idleness is a disease which must be combated; but I would not advise a
rigid adherence to a particular plan of study.  I myself have never
persisted in any plan for two days together.  A man ought to read just
as his inclination leads him: for what he reads as a task will do him
little good.
                                       --Samuel Johnson