[Web4lib] RE: [lita-l] Innovation: NYT articleon Dewey-lessArizonapublic library

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Mon Jul 16 13:40:37 EDT 2007

> much more difficult to make such changes.  Over all, I heartily agree
> that if patrons' typical search behavior looks more like what one finds
> a B&N than an ACRL research library, then emulate B&N by all means.  I
> am simply curious as to how these sort of questions were addressed
> (after all, the change was made by librarians who must have asked
> questions like these before they implemented this project).

1. Perhaps someone can point us to the proper citations: what *is* the
typical search behavior in a research library?

2. They did years of user surveys and focus groups. Users said over and over
again that they preferred browsing. The rest... well, I should save some
stuff for Techsource ;)

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at freerangelibrarian.com