FW: [Web4lib] Science Direct via Google

Michael L. Champion mchampion at lvdl.org
Mon Jul 9 10:42:52 EDT 2007

For fear of repeating myself too often, I think Bob's comment begs the
question: Why count on Google to index or provide OpenURL links to
content?  Wouldn't it be more appropriate if we, as librarians,
collected the metadata from all these services and placed them in our
individual catalogs along with our individual collection of metadata
regarding our physical holdings?  Then we could control which links our
patron's see, who or who does not get access, and the linkage between
metadata records as well.

There have been a number of projects that have shown this to be not only
possible but relatively simple to accomplish technically.  The TOCROSS
project is of particular interest
(http://www.jisc.ac.uk/whatwedo/programmes/programme_pals2/project_tocro
ss.aspx) but a web crawler designed to collect metadata, much as Google
does, and load it into the catalog would work as well.

There are some technical and workflow issues that would have to be
worked out but nothing "show stopping."

I could even see a multi-level licensing agreement with vendors that
would provide permissions to get just the metadata, just access, or even
allow secondary holdings using a project like LOCKSS
(http://www.lockss.org).  That way we might have the metadata for those
items we can only get via ILL or Document Delivery services.

I have been thinking about this a lot and can discover no compelling
reason why we should not be doing this and only excuses as to why we are
not currently doing so.  I would greatly appreciate other people's
thoughts on this subject.

I am often mistaken and rarely afraid to admit it. :-)

Michael Champion
Head, Information Technology Services
Lake Villa District Library