[Web4lib] An exploration in digital storytelling

Phil Shapiro pshapiro at his.com
Mon Jul 9 07:14:23 EDT 2007

hi web4lib community,

      the future of public libraries is probably going to be more and more
digital, so i thought it might be fun trying some explorations in digital
storytelling using some free windows software called powerbullet.

    along these lines, here's a narrated flash slideshow I created this weekend.
the story in this slideshow is a children's story I wrote a few years ago.
adults would enjoy reading this short story, too. (see http://tinyurl.com/2m3zve)

   powerbullet is easier to use than powerpoint and creates flash files,
viewable on just about any computer on the planet -- including many donated
windows 95, 98, and 2000 computers -- as well as macintosh and linux computers.

     a friendly note about viewing the above multimedia. to progress thru the
multimedia use the small red arrows at the bottom of the screen. the arrow
pointing to the right only appears after the narration for the screen you're
viewing has come to and end. you can navigate back thru the story, too, using
the left arrow. the above example uses some fiction, but powerbullet would work
equally well distributing narrated nonfiction.

          phil shapiro, public geek
          takoma park maryland library

Phil Shapiro  pshapiro at his.com
http://www.his.com/pshapiro/briefbio.html