[Web4lib] Re: Web4lib Digest, Vol 22, Issue 26

Francis Kayiwa kayiwa at uic.edu
Sun Jan 28 10:25:29 EST 2007

On Jan 28, 2007, at 8:06 AM, Gbola Olasina wrote:

> Hello:
>
> My library is embarking on automation and we are
> looking at Greenstone Digital Library Software but I
> recently came across some literature on the
> unsuitability of GDLS for catalogued books on MARC
> records platform. Meanwhile, the vision in my home
> country is to have a national university wide network
> running on MARC format. Then, I am doubtful about
> GDLS. At the moment, my home library is just starting
> out with a library wide nework LAN. Where do we go
> from here?

There really is no silver bullet. GDLS is good for digital library
collections and based on your comments here it seems like you are
looking for an Intergrated Library System. There's lots of good ones
available but Koha is budget neutral (some assembly required) and
would recommend you give it a look at the hyperlink below.

http://www.koha.org/

regards,
./fxk