[Web4lib] Digital Signage in Libraries

Bob Rasmussen ras at anzio.com
Wed Jan 17 12:09:29 EST 2007

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Lawrence Milliken wrote:

> One question, though, is what kind of video card power is needed to
> drive a LCD that big.  Let's say 37" at 1300x768?

First, a 37" monitor probably has a native resolution higher than
1300x768. For the best picture, you'll want your video card to output at
the native resolution of your monitor. Otherwise, the monitor will zoom
the image it receives, which will result in a) some blurring, and b)
distortion of shapes if the aspect ratio does not match. It'll work, but
it won't be optimal.

I recently encountered this with a 22" Viewsonic wide format LCD, with a
native resolution of 1680x1050. No computer I tried it on supported that
mode. So I browsed the video card aisle at CompUSA and picked up a card
that said it supported every resolution up to 2048x2048. (Sorry, I don't
have access to the make or model right now.) It had a Vista driver online,
also. It installed and worked easily, with a beautiful picture.

Look for cards with fighting monsters on the box. The gaming market is
driving the graphics developers. You'll be getting more graphics
horsepower than you need, but it's inexpensive horsepower.

Other notes:

1. Buy a card for the correct graphics slot (AGP vs. PCI Express vs. ???).

2. The card will probably support running the monitor in portrait mode.

3. The card may support TWO monitors, with one VGA plug and one DVI plug.

4. Most LCD monitors have a VESA-standard mounting capability. Lots of
wall mount brackets are available. Check Circuit City, etc.

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras at anzio.com
 company e-mail: rsi at anzio.com
            fax: (US) 503-624-0760
            web: http://www.anzio.com