[Web4lib] Interesting article about the future of thelibrarycatalog

Andrew Hankinson andrew.hankinson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 21:52:37 EST 2007

I would wonder if libraries have a wider range of materials or user
types than Amazon, and I also wonder why such emphasis is placed on
the difference between undergraduates and researchers with regards to
using the library catalogue.  They are both using it for the same
reason - to find material important to them for their work.

I think in many ways we build this distinction up to a point where it
becomes an issue, rather than work to eliminate it.  A researcher, by
virtue of having used library systems in the past, is more familiar
with the way they work than a first or second-year undergraduate
student.  It follows, then, that they use the system more
intelligently and extensively than an undergraduate student, because
our systems have such a relatively high* barrier of entry and you
need experience in order to use them effectively. (* high in
comparison to Amazon)

Sites like Amazon, however, break that barrier down - undergraduates
and graduates, professors, librarians and researchers can use it to
find what they are looking for, often to great effect and a lot of
times with much more ease than their own library catalogue.