[Web4lib] Digital Signage in Libraries

Gimon, Charles A CAGimon at mplib.org
Tue Jan 16 16:53:02 EST 2007

Ours run in Flash. The Flash files read XML files that are generated by
queries to our databases of events and promotions. These are the same
databases that we use to serve event information on our public and
internal websites.

Flash is good for this sort of visual because it scales nicely and
smoothly.

It's also very easy just to run Internet Explorer or Mozilla in
full-screen kiosk mode. You can just build a webpage that represents
what you want to display on the screen, have it refresh as often as you
like, and use the same skills, tech, resources that you're using for
your web presence. Use javascript for animation, embed RSS feeds, reuse
graphics that you're using elsewhere on the web, whatever you like.

--Charles Gimon
  Web Coordinator
  Minneapolis Public Library