[Web4lib] Interesting article about the future of the library catalog

B.G. Sloan bgsloan2 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 16 14:15:51 EST 2007

  Coyle, Karen, and Diane Hillman. Resource Description and Access (RDA): Cataloging Rules for the 20th Century. D-Lib Magazine, 13(1/2). January/February 2007.
  http://www.dlib.org/dlib/january07/coyle/01coyle.html

  The subtitle is maybe a little too subtle. :-)

  Abstract:

  "There is evidence that many individuals and organizations in the library world do not support the work taking place to develop a next generation of the library cataloging rules. The authors describe the tensions existing between those advocating an incremental change to cataloging process and others who desire a bolder library entry into the digital era."

  An excerpt:

  "Libraries have lost their place as primary information providers, surpassed by more agile (and in many cases wealthier) purveyors of digital information delivery services...[T]he library's approach to user service and the user interface is not competing successfully against services like Amazon or Google...[L]ibrarians need to undertake a broad analysis of how the changing information technology and our rapidly evolving information resources are changing user behavior. The goal of that analysis should be to mold the user service of the future, recognizing that users and their information needs should be our primary focus. This will mean that our vision of the catalog and of cataloging must make a radical transformation."

  Bernie Sloan