[Web4lib] Problems with Wikipedia

Tim Spalding tim at librarything.com
Fri Jan 5 10:06:27 EST 2007

Michael,

I think there's a certain disconnect between librarianship and the
thing "after" librarianship. It is the librarians job to get patrons
to the credible information—to, if you will, lead the horse to water.
The patrons do the drinking—the research, analysis, and paper-writing.
("Drinking" is the wrong metaphor, as academic work is—at its best—a
creative, not a receptive act.)

If you consider success at the point where librarianship leaves off,
it would usually be foolish to point people to Wikipedia—a muddy
stream, at best. When you problematize authority, and value
disagreement, commitment and currency Wikipedia—and much of the "wild"
web—looks more interesting. Certainly the ever-changing, hyper-current
and enormously passionate interplay of Wikipedia more closely models
what "really" goes on in academic circles than many a deadening
specialized reference works. That Wikipedia requires intellectual
caution and exceptional critical faculties is a *good* thing, not a
bad.

As an aside: Much of my suspicion of "endorsing known authority"
largely derives from my academic experience in Classics. Classics
pioneered the tools of "source criticism," largely at the expense of
"endorsing known authority." Many incidents in ancient history are
attested by multiple, conflicting accounts. Five named authors and a
gaggle of anonymous ones present different accounts of Alexander's
invasion of Egypt.  "Whom to believe?" scholars once asked. But they
came to ask "WHAT to believe?" understanding that there are no "good
authors," only good information. Not infrequently, the accredited,
authoritative author—Plutarch with his encyclopedic library and nible
pen—provides bum information, and a two-bit hack like Justin, or even
some anonymous source provides the real thing.

When I taught ancient texts (as a TA), my students expected pat
answers on a text's "metadata." Who set up this inscription? Who
authored this text? What was its date? What was its bias? The answer
would be "you've read the text. You now know EVERYTHING I do. All the
evidence is internal. Figure it out yourself." Time and again, I had
to fight against the idea that the answer was external to the
text—that the blurb on the back of a Penguin Classic was anything
other than the results of arguments based on the text itself.

I imagine, from where most of you sit, the techniques of ancient
history seems like an edge case. But it brings up the fundamentals:
biography and authority are an imperfect substitute for critical
evaluation.

Tim