[Web4lib] Problems with Wikipedia

Michael McCulley drweb at san.rr.com
Thu Jan 4 22:30:21 EST 2007

Tim,

I happen to still be in the credible author = non-anonymous camp, and while
another tough issue for Wikipedia, I don't find in the real world (vs.
academic disciplines and debates) much discredit for author = known
quantity; that can be skewed, mis-applied, disregarded, or disputed - but,
it has a chance to be respected, and given "credibility." A known author can
be part of the quest for Truth. And it depends..

Quote.

    [I]t is not what the man of science believes that distinguishes him, but
how and why he believes it. His beliefs are tentative, not dogmatic; they
are based on evidence, not on authority or intuition.

.Unquote

Source: Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy (Book-of-the-Month
Club, 1995), p. 527.
Online source: http://www.fallacyfiles.org/authorit.html

I believe you might be confusing argument-from-authority with my poor aim
for endorsing known authority; I mean a basis for validity and
trustworthiness, and we respect authority (in the main) in our society and
civilization, especially deeming valid that authority that comes from our
known "experts." But, this is one of the common back-and-forth debates the
Wikipedia folks have with others who don't agree with their system or
community values.

I can't honestly give credibility to anonymous anything, but maybe that's
just me.  And, there is no disconnect in my mind between having critical
thinking *and* respecting known credible authorship and works. They are not
mutually exclusive, to me.

This is heading (or has been) o.t. for Web4Lib, so feel free to e-mail me
offlist to discuss further. I highly respect your views insights, and
knowledge, though with some of the views, I may disagree...

Best,
Michael

--
P. Michael McCulley aka DrWeb
mailto:drweb at san.rr.com
San Diego, CA
http://drweb.typepad.com/

Quote of the Moment:
 It's 11:00pm...do you know what your cats are shredding?
Thursday, January 04, 2007 7:10:24 PM