[Web4lib] Dreamweaver 8 vs Microsoft Expression Web

Micah Stevens micah at raincross-tech.com
Wed Feb 28 02:45:13 EST 2007

The preview version has a tendency to overload pages with inline styles,
much akin to Frontpage, something I dislike quite a bit. However it's
much better than Front Page, and doesn't do strange things behind your
back when you're working directly with the code like it's former self.
It's clearly much evolved away from what you expect from Microsoft for
this sort of thing.

I have to restate though that I was using a preview version which is
likely less polished than the current release. There also doesn't seem
to be any support for non-microsoft server side code such as PHP, or
Java servlets. Just ASP. Nor does it run on anything but windows, so if
you need cross platform support, you better use Dreamweaver.

All in all, I'd say Expression is a great package, but Dreamweaver would
be my choice of the two. It has a much larger support base, you can get
it for multiple platforms, most professionals will have it, so it's
easier to network, and it's been in the field longer.

My personal favorite is a good text editor. :) Cross platform and
standards compliant, and it always does what you tell it to do.

HTH
-Micah