[Web4lib] The Wikipedia Gotcha -- a cosmic perspective

Binkley, Peter Peter.Binkley at ualberta.ca
Fri Feb 23 15:18:50 EST 2007

Within a wiki (in the librarians group at wikipedia or pbwiki or
wherever), perhaps a format modelled on Talk Origins
(http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/list.html) would work: an index of
claims (statements about wikipedia from librarians), each with its own
page where the claim is articulated and sourced, and then responses are
enumerated and sourced. The sources could be links to archived email
messages or threads that capture a particular argument well. Links into
Wikipedia's documentation would also be useful.

The difference would be that Talk Origins represents the efforts of one
community to debunk the claims of another, whereas the Wikipedia wiki
would represent a discussion within a single community which has not
reached consensus. It would be possible to set up our site as a list of
pro-Wikipedia claims with anti-Wikipedia responses or vice versa (and
appear to favour one side over the other), or allow both with lots of
interlinking of responses (and deal with a lot of redundancy).

Of course, someone is going to have to do the work...

Peter