[Web4lib] Laptop checkout security

Rob Styles Rob.Styles at talis.com
Fri Feb 9 04:08:04 EST 2007

A simple and relatively inexpensive addition to the deposit mechanism
(keys, ID, cash, whatever) is a record of the individual. I don't work
in a library, but have seen this done other places with a Polaroid
camera. A photo is taken of the borrower which is then attached to the
deposit item and filed against the item being borrowed. In the event of
anything going missing you have a clear ID to hand to college
officials/law enforcement for investigation. Predominantly it removes
the feeling of anonymity the borrower may have.

rob

Rob Styles
Programme Manager, Data Services, Talis
tel: +44 (0)870 400 5000
fax: +44 (0)870 400 5001
direct: +44 (0)870 400 5004
mobile: +44 (0)7971 475 257
msn: mmmmmrob at yahoo.com
irc: irc.freenode.net/mmmmmrob,isnick

The very latest from Talis
read the latest news at www.talis.com/news
listen to our podcasts www.talis.com/podcasts
see us at these events www.talis.com/events
join the discussion here www.talis.com/forums
join our developer community www.talis.com/tdn
and read our blogs www.talis.com/blogs

Any views or personal opinions expressed within this email may not be those of Talis Information Ltd. The content of this email message and any files that may be attached are confidential, and for the usage of the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, then please return this message to the sender and delete it. Any use of this e-mail by an unauthorised recipient is prohibited.

Talis Information Ltd is a member of the Talis Group of companies and is registered in England No 3638278 with its registered office at Knights Court, Solihull Parkway, Birmingham Business Park, B37 7YB.