[Web4lib] Laptop checkout security

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Thu Feb 8 18:22:50 EST 2007

> For straight circulation of laptops, in my book, nothing beats using the
> goold old-fashioned ILS to check the stuff out and fine students the full
> price of the laptop if it doesn't return (we charge a round $1500 here,
> which also gets them their library privileges blocked as a bonus, and we
> bursar the bill, so mom and dad get an unpleasant shock to boot).
> Students,
> of course, need a university or photo ID in order to check out anything in
> the first place, so ID verification is built in. As far as I know, we
> haven't had a single lost or stolen laptop since we started the lending
> program, nigh on these four or five years.

Maurice's point here brings up something else that has been only
elliptically addressed in this thread, which is so important for
understanding the use of the Web in libraries (sorry, wanted to ensure the
thread was relevant to our list ;> ).

The issue has to do with retaining ID for laptop checkout. I can see at
least 4 reasons why this is not ideal:

1. Fake IDs (thanks, Bret!)
2. ID cards with value on them (Maurice and others)-you really want to get
into handling these..?
3. Print release: if the card is required for releasing print jobs, then for
circ to hold the cards is a problem (several folk raised this)
4. Authentication: it's possible some libraries provide authentication for
patrons with card swipes or similar access routines.

It's still possible for someone to use a stolen ID to steal laptops, though
with Computrace and a good relationship with the campus police established
well in advance, you may be able to get them back.

An interesting question that appears to have no right or wrong answer seems
to be on the issue of cheap vs. rugged. Do you want laptops that are
consumables (more theft-tolerant) or do you want laptops that are sturdy
(more breakage-tolerant)?

Another point about laptop checkout, which I'm not sure I emphasized, even
though I was thinking it, and which others have alluded to, is that stuff
happens. These are consumables, and some will be lost, stolen, or broken. In
my book, you do have to accept some of this as the cost of doing business.

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com