[Web4lib] Need help with remote access to databases

Deborah Bendig DBendig at onlib.org
Wed Dec 26 11:50:38 EST 2007

Hi All,

This may be old hat for many, but I haven't found discussion in the
Web4Lib archives or the recent literature about this and need advice.

I'm the systems librarian for a public library system, consisting of a
central library, 10 branches, and 20 member organizations. Among this
group we have 9 different configurations of licensed databases.  We
share a local system, and just migrated to a Polaris Library System.  We
came from Classic Dynix, and had been using Dynix's RPA to
authenticate/authorize patrons for databases based on their registered
library, and in one case, also school district.

Although Dynix's RPA worked okay when connected to Dynix, with any other
system it only supports these differing configurations if we feed it
with 9 different patron files, once for each different configuration,
so authentication/authorization is not done live via SIP2 or other
connection.

The Polaris solution would require that we force users to choose their
registered library before entering the catalog, and prohibit them from
picking the wrong one - not easy with an open catalog.

At our request, Polaris Library Systems add two new fields to their SIP2
message 64, containing registered library and school district, so we
have an outbound feed with this information.

I've been looking around but haven't yet found a true consortial
solution that would take advantage of a SIP2 connection, or at the very
least, take our full patron file and limit access based on registered
library and hopefully school district.  I'd also not prefer to have to
run 9 instances of an authorization system.

I've been talking with EZProxy about this and am waiting for suggestions
from them, but their first reaction wasn't promising.

So, does anyone know of an authentication/authorization system that
might work for us?

Thanks muchly!
Deb

Deborah L. Bendig