[Web4lib] Web browsers and library databases

Sharon Foster fostersm1 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 20:02:30 EDT 2007

At the risk of starting a religious war ;-) I do install Firefox on
the staff Windows computers, and I remove IE from the desktop and the
Start menu and ask staff not to use it. Firefox has a better record
overall on security and virus issues, it has more features and free
plug-ins, and since it is open source, I expect that it will continue
to be more responsive to needed changes than will IE.

I do the same for the public Windows computers, and the remainder of
the staff and public computers are Macs. (I didn't have to worry about
IE on the Macs until last week's news.)

On 8/6/07, Sara Brownmiller <snb at uoregon.edu> wrote:
> We are upgrading our public workstations this fall and are reviewing
> whether to offer only Internet Explorer or whether to also offer
> Firefox.  Has anyone compiled a list of databases/resources typically
> offered by a library and whether they are fully compatible with the
> major browsers and versions?  For example, do most databases perform as
> expected in Internet Explorer 7, as opposed to 6?  Do you get good
> performance with Firefox?  Do you know of databases/resources that
> specifically have problems either with IE7 or with Firefox?
>
> I've done some quick Web searching and haven't seen anything that might
> provide an answer.
>
> thanks, Sara
>
> --
>

> Sara Brownmiller  . . . . . . . . . . . University of Oregon Libraries
> Director, Library Systems . . . . . . . 1299 University of Oregon
> Women's Studies Librarian . . . . . . . Eugene, OR 97403-1299
> snb at uoregon.edu . . . . . . . . . . . . 541-346-2368 (voice)

Sharon M. Foster, B.S., J.D., 0.5 * (MLS)
F/OSS Evangelist
Cheshire Public Library
104 Main Street
Cheshire, CT  06410
http://www.cheshirelibrary.org
My library school portfolio: http://home.southernct.edu/~fosters4/
My final project for ILS655, Digital Libraries:
http://www.vsa-software.com/ils655

Any opinions expressed here are entirely my own.