[Web4lib] Skills for Library 2.0 Leaders

Mark Costa markrcosta at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 11:44:30 EDT 2007

The biggest technical skills you need are - no fear of failure and love of
experimentation. That may not be the answer you were looking for, but the
technology aspect is not the hurdle. The beauty of 2.0 is that it is
inherently more accessible than previous technologies. You really need to
get people comfortable with uncertainty, risk, and imperfect products. The
reality is that the systems and technologies of 2.0 are constantly changing.

I think focusing on technical skills is a bit dangerous for two reasons.
First, libraries will very rarely have people who are really good with any
programming/scripting language. It's just a basic law of economics; the
demand is too high and other institutions have more money to throw at the
problem. That's not to say there aren't very
talented programmers in libraries, but they are rare. The second reason to
avoid focusing on the technical skills is because certain people who are
resistant to change will grudgingly accept they have to learn a new
technology, learn the new technology, and then defend it with their life.
Regardless of whether or not the service or technology is still useful or
efficient to use, they will defend it because they consider that
service/process/technology their sole connection to the organization.

You can build wikis, blogs, bulletin boards, and hosts of other services
using PHP, Python, Cold Fusion, Ruby on Rails, and whatever other languages
you have out there. You can recruit people, train technicians, or do
whatever to develop those skills. None of that will matter if you can't get
your colleagues to embrace constant change. If you can't do that, by the
time you develop and sell your service in house, a new and better one will
be available. If you can get a good, solid group of individuals who love to
play with technology, regardless of which skills they possess, some good
things will happen.

mc