[Web4lib] IE6 vs. IE7 as ftp client

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Apr 6 10:53:35 EDT 2007

Did I dream this?

In IE[4-6], I could open a URL of <ftp://user:password@host/dir> and IE
acted as a reasonably useful FTP client, including the ability to drag
files into the window and have them uploaded to the ftp site.

In IE7, that behavior has changed (at least, for me on my PC with my
settings).  Now I can open that ftp site, but when I drag a file into
IE, IE opens it.  Understandable behavior, but an annoying change.  Ah,
but now it tells me, "To view this FTP site in Windows Explorer, click
Page and then click Open FTP Site in Windows Explorer."  Oookay.  Except
in Microsoft's wisdom, Windows explorer then opens the site as anonymous
ftp, losing the account information.

Does anyone know how to use IE7 as a drag-and-drop ftp client?  Or has
M'soft dumbed it down to far for that anymore?

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu