[Web4lib] Fortres software?

Ben Haines bhaines at forestparkpubliclibrary.org
Wed Apr 4 18:20:28 EDT 2007

Hi all.  I searched the archives but didn't find much (and nothing
recent) on the software suite from Fortres Grand: Fortres 101, Clean
Slate, and Time Limit Manager. Is there anyone who is using one or more
of these products, and would be willing to share their experiences?

We're a smaller public library with about 30 computers spread between
the adult and youth services departments. Right now desktop security is
handled with a mix of Deep Freeze, Public Web Browser, WinU, and Windows
policy settings. This /works/, but I think it would be nice to have a
more streamlined solution, and the option to include PC time management
from the same company is a big plus.

I'm particularly interested in how easy the software is to configure for
multiple levels of security restrictions (e.g. catalog-only vs. web
access vs. youth services computers), how time consuming the
administration is, and how much additional security (anti-spyware,
anti-virus, etc.) is needed.  I'd also be interested in learning more
about the Central Control software sold by Fortres to administer Fortres
101 and Clean Slate.  Is it worth the cost?

Thanks!

-Ben

--
Ben Haines