[Web4lib] Audiobooks, are they helping kids learn to read?

Michelle Mumau Mumaum at woodhaven.k12.mi.us
Wed Sep 27 11:57:04 EDT 2006

I was just wondering what your thoughts are on audio books and
education? In my opinion audio books are NOT helping kids learn to read.
I believe that the current generation of children are lazier than ever
and audio books are just feeding into that mentality. I teach 7th grade
and it is amazing how many children can't read.... and their spelling is
atrocious. Can we blame it all on audio books, of course not, but I do
think it is a contributing factor.