[Web4lib] Commercial website CMS products and Open-source consultants

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Thu Sep 21 11:00:54 EDT 2006

For a Plone consultant you should email a query to the Plone-Users list.  I
sure the others have similar lists.  The Plone list is very responsive.

http://www.plone.org/

Also, I would suggest your searching the lists of any product you are
interested in for any problems with upgrades, difficulties upgrading, or
major changes that affect upgrading such as authentication methods.
I've just installed the newest Zope, which Plone runs under, and the newest
Plone and have different versions of Plone running under 3 different Zope
versions and they all seem to upgrade well except for one which had a few
problems on it own anyway.

Related is a CMS contest, this from a post on the Plone list:

"""After twelve thousand nominations Plone made it to the top 5 in the
Packt Publishing Open Source CMS Award.

http://www.packtpub.com/article/final_five_announced

The finalists are as follows: (listed in alphabetical order)
    * Drupal (php) - http://drupal.org/
    * e107 (php) - http://e107.org/
    * Joomla (php) - http://www.joomla.org/
    * Plone (python) - http://plone.org/
    * Xoops (php) - http://www.xoops.org/
Plone is the only non PHP based system in the bunch - so I think we
have done quite well to get this far in what essentially amounts to a
popularity contest. Especially when one considers the prevelance of
php over python skills.
Looking at google trends results - it would seem that drupal is the
stand out system in terms of mindshare."""

Thomas

On Wednesday 20 September 2006 14:25, Reegan D. Breu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are a relatively small non-profit organization. Currently, we are
> looking into implementing a website CMS. We are leaning toward commercial
> products at this time given that we do not currently have any IT staff.
> However, we are planning to hire some staff in the next year, so
> open-source is not out of the question. I have read the previous
> messages/discussions on website CMSes and have two questions:
>
> 1. Regarding commercial products: Based on your experiences, are there any
> that you would recommend?
> 2. Regarding open-source: Do you know of/can recommend any open-source
> consultants (specializing in Plone or Drupal or Joomla) that are based out
> of Canada?
>
> Thank you for your feedback.
>
> Reegan
>
> Reegan D. Breu, MLIS, B.A. (Adv).
> Manager, Information Services
> Centre for Indigenous Environmental Resources (CIER)
> 3rd Floor, 245 McDermot Avenue
> Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada  R3B 0S6
>
> Tel: 204.956.0660 ext. 400
> Fax: 204.956.1895
> Email: rbreu at cier.ca
> Website: www.cier.ca
>

> CIER, the Centre for Indigenous Environmental Resources, is a national
> First Nation-directed environmental non-profit organisation.
>
> We offer environmental research, technical, advisory and education services
> to Indigenous communities, governments and private companies.

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett		Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant III			P O Box 32026
University Library				Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

An important measure of effort in coding is the frequency with which you write
something that doesn't actually match your mental representation of the
problem, and have to backtrack on realizing that what you just typed won't
actually tell the language to do what you're thinking. -Eric Raymond

Library Systems Help Desk: http://linux.library.appstate.edu/help