[Web4lib] no tables in CSS?

Paul F. Schaffner pfs at umich.edu
Wed Sep 20 18:45:38 EDT 2006

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, Jonathan Gorman wrote:

> I think this email list can be helpful with CSS questions as well.

I'll take this as an invitation. I am new to CSS, since my job
usually involves capturing information in markup, with little regard
for how it might be displayed. But am I right in thinking that
given an XML source (TEI-based XML, not XHTML), there is no way
to style the XML with CSS so as to format a table properly with cell
and row spans? That this was omitted from CSS2? And that the
tables module for CSS3 has not yet reached the 'working draft' level?
Or have I misunderstood?

pfs