[Web4lib] Google Debuts 200 Year News Archive Search

Jonathan Rochkind rochkind at jhu.edu
Thu Sep 7 13:36:15 EDT 2006

I wouldn't assume that ProQuest is intentionally working around allowing
subscribing institutions to access their subscriptions. It's possible.
But there may be some other rationale for the technical decisions, they
may not have been taken to spite us.

Link resolver integration could theoretically solve this
regardless---google doesn't need to point to the 'appropriate copy' for
our users, that's the job of the link resolver to resolve.
Theoretically. If it could be gotten to work.

But if proquest doing something different would help, then you should
talk to proquest. They shouldn't be trying to charge our users for
something we've already paid for for them. But proquest is just one of
many destinations that will show up on the google archived news results.
(I think you can get results to nytimes.com for instance---even though
the contents will also be included in proquest's national newspapers
(for instance), sure.)

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Rochkind, MLIS