[Web4lib] Google Debuts 200 Year News Archive Search

Rudy Leon rudy.leon at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 13:13:17 EDT 2006

It's not just a link resolver issue -- it sounds like ProQuest is actively
working around allowing subscribing institutions to access their
subscriptions when using the google news search process. If ProQuest allowed
google to publish the link to a standard ProQuest database, our users could
access those articles to which the library has subscription access. By
having it in this 'archiver" address, we are shut out.

Oh and wouldn't it be lovely if that other major news database allowed
article-level linking? We can't really blame Google for that quirk.

--
Rudy Leon
Instruction & Collection Development Librarian