[Web4lib] CMS or something else?

Andrew Hankinson andrew.hankinson at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 23:57:51 EDT 2006

If you want a very simple, extremely customizable CMS, look at
Textpattern (http://www.textpattern.com.)  In the back-end, it does a
very good job of separating "Content" from "Presentation."  (The only
tricky nomenclature is the "forms."  It's not forms as in text-entry
on a website; rather it's bits of re-usable code that you can call in
any of your templates.  It took me a few minutes to realize that one.)

For a more complicated site, I'm starting to dig Drupal.  It's got a
steeper learning curve to set up, but it's not that bad once you get
into it.  I like not having a "front-end" and "back-end" to a
website.  I login, navigate to the page I want to edit, and click
"edit."  I wish more CMS' were built this way.  I also like the fine-
grained access control.  I believe it is possible to setup workflows,
where one person gets notified of new content, and can then approve
it for publishing.

A flat-file approach to websites is easy maintenence for a simple- to
mildly-complex website; anything after that and you risk the website
equivalent of "DLL-Hell."  Trying to maintain different versions of
the same file, including the same menu on all of them, rolling out
site-wide updates, all of these common tasks become very simple with
a good CMS.

In a database-driven CMS, you also get the advantage of re-using your
content for different purposes.  I have yet to come across a good
method of generating an RSS feed from a flat-file website.  It's a
further separation of Content and Presentation.

I'm guessing from your comments, however, that you are trying to
avoid a database driven site, though.