[Web4lib] CMS or something else?

Keith D. Engwall kengwall at catawba.edu
Sun Sep 3 18:32:17 EDT 2006

The two product names that I've gotten out of the discussions on this are Plone, Bricolage and Contribute.

I installed Bricolage, but am totally unfamiliar with the jargon it uses (stories, mason components, etc.), and have not had much luck finding sufficient documentation to get me started, but it looks like the learning curve on it would be rather steep (jargon-heavy, etc.) for the librarians.

I installed Plone, and while the interface is nice, it looks like a CMS where the management is tied into the interface (there will always be a login link on the page the public sees, and the page is sort of pre-configured into a plone interface with plone's menus, etc.).

Contribute does not appear to run on Debian/Ubuntu (according to the System Requirements).

What I'm really looking for is a means for staff to edit and add pages to an existing site through a web interface, but have the site itself be completely independent from the editing interface.  The editing interface, for instance, would go through a different port than the site itself, with authentication, and they'd be able to see the directory tree under the document root of the web site, and then be able to edit those files as well as add new ones.  Ideally, it would be nice to have an approval stage.  WYSIWIG would be nice, but not essential.

It may be that Bricolage can do this, but the interface is so opaque (because of the jargon mostly) that I can't figure out how to tell it where my website files are or how to import my website files into its database, or whatever.

If you know of any specific products that would help me do this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Keith