Re: [Web4lib] CMS or something else?

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Fri Sep 1 16:26:14 EDT 2006

_____

From: Tyson Tate [mailto:tysontate at gmail.com]

  I guess it all depends on how valuable your content is to you. Do your
  librarians have the time to be trained in proper accessibility
  practices? Will they be able to follow your style guidelines? Does SEO
  matter for your in-house search tools?Plone does all this for you. The default CSS is highly accessible; it enforces styles inherently; and it comes with full text searching (in addition to keywords, metadata, etc). Content editors literally supply *content*. They do not have to worry about style guidelines (the Plone adminstrator does). They do not have to worry about overall site structure or navigation once it is set up (the Plone administrator/integrator does this and can then lock it down).
Perhaps you'd like to give examples of CMS's that allow people to add
  content within navigational frameworks which enforce good coding
  standards, maintain a decent level of accessibility (remember, it's
  not only good practice -- it's the law), and makes sure that all
  content follows style guidelines. If there is one, I'd love to learn
  more about it. Plone is one I'm most familiar with.
After my library is done redesigning our site, we're
  going to look in to implementing a good CMS (most likely Drupal) to
  save us fromt the ungodly horror that is maintaining a static-html
  site with Dreamweaver.I've heard good things about Drupal as well.

Cheers,
Darci Hanning