[Web4lib] Wikipedia in Chronicle of Higher Education

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Tue Oct 24 15:09:05 EDT 2006

Mike Taylor wrote:
> - It's a click away
> - It's free (as in free beer)
> - It's free (as in free speech)
> - Its coverage is much wider
> - It doesn't give the false impression of authority!

It also has an interesting quality that I appreciate when I compare it
to something like a web search (avoiding the G word ;-)): There is an
article where all of the data on a topic has been pulled together. The
work has been done for you. I know that's what an encyclopedia is
supposed to be, but I also know that some people use search engines (and
I used to, too) for queries like the ones I now take to wikipedia. When
I want to know more about the 1866 Italian plebiscite, I don't want to
have to rummage through a bunch of web sites or articles on one aspect
of that topic, I want the topic organized into a single article with a
general overview, some specifics, and a decent bibliography.

kc

--
kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://www.kcoyle.net