[Web4lib] Limiting bandwidth

Casey Durfee Casey.Durfee at spl.org
Thu Oct 12 13:25:15 EDT 2006

A Linksys WRT54G wireless router ($50 new) + Sveasoft firmware ( $20/year subscription ) [1] should give you what you want without having to buy and maintain a new server or an expensive router.  You can easily throttle how much bandwidth your laptop users can use and give priority to internet browsing over bittorrent, games, ftp and other traffic.

The Sveasoft firmware basically transforms a $50 wireless router into a $500 one.  It's fairly well documented and easy to use.  The OpenWRT [2] firmware is similar to Sveasoft's but is totally free and less user-friendly.

[1] http://www.sveasoft.com/content/view/2/1/
[2] http://openwrt.org/

>>> Judy McBrian <jbrian at boonvillelib.net> 10/12/2006 8:51 AM >>>
Please excuse the cross posting.

For some of you this is a dumb question, but if you don't ask you're
never gonna learn nuthin'

I want to create an inexpensive wi-fi for patrons.   The big word with
the Board is inexpensive.
My concern is laptop patrons using out bandwidth for things like gaming
and downloading music files.  That is, by numbers and activities sucking
the life out of our T1
It's bad enough in the summer with every kid on every computer playing
the Runewhatever game.
(No, we don't, and no, I have NO CONTROL over what the Board decides to
allow or not on library owned machines....)
Does anyone have any wise words?