[Web4lib] Limiting bandwidth

Josh Stompro stomproj at larl.org
Thu Oct 12 12:51:54 EDT 2006

The pfsense and m0n0wall firewall os distributions allow for setting up
captive portals and bandwidth limiting.  I am using pfsense at 20
branches as their main firewall/wireless management device.  Our captive
portal just makes wireless users agree with our wireless use policy to
gain access, they don't need to setup an account.  I usually throttle
the wireless to 1/3 the total bandwidth of a branch, and shut down the
wireless interface at night.

http://pfsense.org
http://m0n0.ch/wall/

Josh

Judy McBrian wrote:
> Please excuse the cross posting.
>
> For some of you this is a dumb question, but if you don't ask you're
> never gonna learn nuthin'
>
> I want to create an inexpensive wi-fi for patrons.   The big word with
> the Board is inexpensive.  My concern is laptop patrons using out
> bandwidth for things like gaming and downloading music files.  That
> is, by numbers and activities sucking the life out of our T1
> It's bad enough in the summer with every kid on every computer playing
> the Runewhatever game.
> (No, we don't, and no, I have NO CONTROL over what the Board decides
> to allow or not on library owned machines....)
> Does anyone have any wise words?

Lake Agassiz Regional Library - Moorhead MN larl.org
Josh Stompro               | Office 218.233.3757 EXT-139
LARL Network Administrator | Mobile 701.371.3857