[Web4lib] Authors name standardization. Your opinion?

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Mon Nov 13 15:08:19 EST 2006

Thanks, Julie. I hadn't seen that. It's an ISO TC 46 committee, and they
actually have a first draft. There are a lot of things they'll need to
develop beyond that draft, so I think the next draft will be
interesting. Basically, the elements that accompany the identifier are:

who: name and birth date
what: kind of work (architectural, musical, etc.)
how: type of role (author, costume designer, etc.)

For multiple roles, I can't tell what they intend (same identifier,
multiple roles, or an identifier per role). The draft says: "The same
ISPI shall not be allocated to more than one Party, also in cases where
that Party has several roles (like composer and producer)." It sounds
like each role gets a "persona" and an ID, but I can't tell.

This draft only covers current "parties" and doesn't address legacy data.

BTW, the US (as ANSI/NISO) voted not to accept this document as a
working draft, but does have members on the committee. This means that
everything could change.

kc

Julie Nye wrote:
> kc wrote:
>

>> An author ID would solve part of the problem -- that is, it could make
>>

> Isn't there a "party identifier" scheme under discussion now that would
> do essentially this, for personal and corporate authors?
>
> http://collectionscanada.ca/iso/tc46sc9/27729.htm
>
> --------------------------
> Julie Blume Nye, Product Manager/Analyst
> OCLC PICA Inc.
> 407 River Trace Dr.
> Rougemont, NC 27572
> Office: 336-364-2607 or  913-239-1210
> Fax: 336-364-4224    Cell:  919-971-2496
> E-mail: j.nye at oclcpica.org
> www.oclcpica.org
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ DISCLAIMER ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> The information in this electronic mail message is private and may be
> confidential. It is intended solely for the use of the recipient. Should
> you receive this message by mistake, you are hereby notified that any
> disclosure, reproduction, distribution or use of this message is
> prohibited. Please delete this message and notify the sender immediately
> by return email. OCLC PICA accepts no liability for the improper
> transmission of information contained in this communication nor for any
> delay in its receipt. Although we have taken steps to ensure that this
> email and attachments are free from any virus, we do advise you to scan
> attachments before opening them.

kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://www.kcoyle.net
ph.: 510-540-7596
fx.: 510-848-3913